Creativity Can Be Taught
I’m starting with a statement today in that – Creativity can be Taught – it’s not something that is unattainable. It’s not a ” I wish”, “dream”, “if I only” and “when” thoughts. Creativity is that something that comes from within that springs forth and brings you joy, makes you see things differently. At that moment you let your inner critic go.
Right side of the Brain and Left Side of the Brain
Bringing this into perspective. We have right and left side of the brain people. The right side is all about making sense of stories, music all the visual imagery of things. The left side of the brain is all about processing data and the understanding of maths, language and is the more logical side to us. For the left sided brain undercover creative’s it’s all about tapping into your right side and teaching yourself how to be creative.
Creativeness is a verb – you just have to do it
Creativeness is a verb you have to do it. It’s not like logic where you just have to think about something. To get to your creativeness you need to teach yourself by doing something. It’s not an insurmountable task. You can nurture and look after your right side of the brain and in so doing move between your left side where all the logic are to the right side where all the creativeness are.
Here’s a few ideas how you can incorporate creativity into your day.
- Meditation – it’s a good starting point. To give your logical side a bit of breathing space and let your visual side come to the forefront.
- Go see a good show, read a good book. These are all elements that stimulate your right side of the brain.
- Take a walk – it’s good to work your senses. Actually smell the roses, I mean physically smell the roses. Listen to the birds singing. Notice the colours around you. Are there more blues than greens with a smattering of yellow maybe.
- Listen to music. Listen to music that you won’t normally listen to. Explore artists. Go to a live show.
- Learn how to dance. Learn how to move your body. Take a dance lesson.
- Draw – anything – this taps into your right side of your brain, better yet, think about what you want to draw and draw it up side down. Doodles are good.
- Build a puzzle – this taps into your creativeness as well as you need to see different shapes and recognize where they slot it.
- Take photographs – this makes your right side think about space, distance, the creativeness of the picture.
- Make a list of everything that inspires you. A go to list of things or people that just give you that daily boost.
- Write it down. Do some journaling in the morning. Don’t even be selective – just let it flow. That’s your right side writing it down.
Inspirational talks about creativity
Take care Debbera xoxo