How to Make Room for more Gratitude in your Life
I have been contemplating, reflecting, mulling over the word gratitude in my mind quite often lately and asked myself these questions how does one make room for gratitude in your life. It’s one of those words that get used so often, I’m so grateful…… there is so much to be grateful for….. What does it really mean to be grateful?
I started to ask these question how does one make room for gratitude in your life?
- How does one think about gratitude?
- What is the importance of gratitude?
- How does one apply gratitude?
- How does one define gratitude for yourself?
When reflecting on the definitions of gratitude – gratitude can be described as
“the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness”.
How does one think about gratitude?
My take on Gratitude are thankfulness – the favor we receive, it is a much deeper response where our hearts are filled with gratitude for the many blessings God give us, even when they seem so small to our wants, or even when we may not be able to see them.
Becoming aware of the blessings in your life and being grateful for those blessings make you aware of the true reflections within your lives.
Think about : There are two kinds of gratitude : The sudden kind we feel for what we take, the larger kind we feel for what we give.
What is the importance of gratitude?
Gratitude is a characteristic of the heart nurtured by the right understanding of the goodness of God.
Ingratitude harms us in so many ways, –
It robs us of joy
It robs us of peace
It robs us of contentment
Why is gratitude so important to you : –
- Gratitude allows you to celebrate the present
- Gratitude blocks negative emotions
- Gratitude reminds us of the things in our life that work
- Gratitude strengthens our emotions
- Grateful people have a higher self worth
- Gratitude makes you a happier person
- Grateful people have a pro-active coping style, you will find it easier to bounce back through difficult times.
- Gratitude deepens friendships
- Gratitude deepens relationships
- Gratitude improves your decision making
How does one apply gratitude?
Start applying gratitude in the small things. Keep a journal and count your blessings. Write about everything you are grateful for and apply that feeling.
Here is my gratitude list for today :
- I am grateful I am healthy, right at this moment.
- I am grateful I can work every day.
- I am grateful I have a beautiful home to live in.
- I am grateful for the relationships I have with the people I love.
- I am grateful I can say thank you to those who come my way.
- I am grateful I can reach out to family and friends and keep in touch.
When applying and saying thank you to the small things, it becomes easier when situations come your way to work through the challenges with a grateful heart. The challenges might not be easy, by working through them you can uplift your spirit, turn the negative into grateful and joyful moments.
How does one define gratitude for yourself
Write down in your journal today what gratitude is for yourself.
Gratitude for me means a thankfulness to something I have received and a thankfulness for something I can give to others.
Let me know what is yours.