Self-Care : 10 Quick Ways to look after yourself today
You probably are wondering why self-care is so important. Why on earth it matters and why you need to start to look after yourself.
Self-care is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle that keeps you healthy and happy.
The people in the know define self care as that tiny day to day actions where you look after yourself and tweak your behaviors in order for you to avoid health problems. Self-care is so important and yet it is one of those things that we always push back to do later.
Think about this when you take good care of yourself, this has an impact in all areas of your life. You have more energy for your families and friends. Today I’m sharing a few habits that you can incorporate into your daily life at no extra cost to you, only your time and a bit of reframing on how you think about self-care.
There is no prescribed way in how to do self-care and when to do it. That is for you to decide. I’m only leaving you with a few tools to incorporate in your daily life, and you don’t have to incorporate all of them. Even if you only allow for a few changes you will feel the results.
- Go outside. Researchers have proven that when you are outside it benefits your brain, you feel more alive. Walking in nature has that extra benefit to de-stress you, especially when you use your five senses.
- Drink tea. Drinking black tea leads to lower post-stress cortisol levels and a greater feeling of relaxation. Make a moment of it. When you get home from work, take out your most beautiful teapot and make yourself the best cup ever. Experiment with different blends. Take a moment to sit back relax and have your cuppa with a magazine before you get into the craziness of family time. Your family will be all smiles as you become more relaxed and happy. This whole event only need to take fifteen minutes, so worth the time and energy you can put into this.
- Unplug. Give yourself a social media break. Switch everything to airplane mode or switch off. Talk to your family, get to know them.
- Get enough sleep. Prioritize your sleep. When you skimp on your sleep this leads to not being productive at work. Due to a lack of sleep you don’t make good choices when it comes to your health. You might end up eating bigger portions, a quick bite here or there as your sleeping patterns are not aligned as they should be. It really is important to get enough sleep.
- Change your diet. Make one change in your diet today. Take fruit to work, or an extra yoghurt or drink that extra glass of water today. When you have done it today, go for day two and day three, after twenty one days the experts say a new habit is born.
- Check in with your emotions. Sit quietly and just name without judgment what you’re feeling. You probably are so busy and into the busyness of business that you more often than not forget to check in with yourself. Ask yourself the questions are you OK? what do I need right now? what can I do to make my life better? Do I need help?
- Do an art project – get creative. Making art and being in the moment help with the de-stress levels. Start a creative hobby, writing, photography, knitting, journalling – there are so many out there, choose a hobby that speaks to your soul.
- Listen to the music. It’s all in the tunes, make your own playlists, play it where-ever you go. Choosing the right music brings out the positivity in you, especially when you choose up-beat music.
- Exercise a signature strength / a core value of who you are. Think about what you’re good at, and find an opportunity to practice it today.
- Take a home spa. There is nothing as good as taking one long bath or shower, sit around in your bathrobe and read magazines with your playlist playing in the background.
Take care of yourself today and practice self-care today.